Free Admission To All Exhibitions
Coming Soon – Leonardo da Vinci: A Life in Drawing
This year sees the five hundredth anniversary of the death of Leonardo da Vinci, one of the greatest artists and scientists the world has known. To mark this anniversary, Royal Collection Trust has collaborated with twelve museums and galleries to stage simultaneous exhibitions of Leonardo’s drawings across the United Kingdom, in an initiative designed to give the widest-ever UK audience the opportunity to see the work of this extraordinary artist.
Leonardo was perhaps unique in the range of his achievements, and drawing lay at the heart of his creativity. He drew to prepare his artistic projects, to record the world around him, to pursue his scientific speculations, and to make visible the workings of his imagination.
This display will feature twelve drawings which reflect the full range of Leonardo’s practice including anatomy, botany, engineering, and cartography. This exhibition will be accompanied by a series of special events including talks, tours and art workshops. See the full events program here.
Image credit: Leonardo da Vinci, A rearing horse, c.1503-4, Royal Collection Trust/© Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2018
Leonardo da Vinci: A Life in Drawing (1 February – 6 May 2019) exhibitions will be taking place simultaneously at the following locations:
- Ulster Museum, Belfast
- Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery
- Bristol Museum and Art Gallery
- National Museum Cardiff
- Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Glasgow
- Leeds Art Gallery
- Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool
- Manchester Art Gallery
- Millennium Gallery, Sheffield
- Southampton City Art Gallery
- Sunderland Museums and Winter Gardens
- A further location to be announced
- Leonardo da Vinci: A Life in Drawing (24 May – 13 October 2019)
- Exhibition of over 200 drawings
- The Queen’s Gallery, Buckingham Palace, London
For more information visit www.royalcollection.org.uk/Leonardo 500